These past two weeks have almost killed me, in that figurative, melodramatic sense. Couple a sinus infection for the ages with less than $20 in the checking account and you've got a recipe for frustration. Cash-strapped indeed. If I didn't properly stock my pantry I don't know where I'd be right now. Needless to say, the meals around here have consisted mostly of potatoes, lentils, pasta, rice, etc. that I've transformed into different dishes. I cannot stress enough the importance of pantry preparedness. I sound like a goddamn Boy Scout, but you will thank me. Here are a few basic things I always keep around in case of emergencies:
-Pasta. Any variety, but I usually keep a long pasta (bucatini) and a short pasta (penne rigate).
-Rice. Long and short grain varieties. My short grain of choice is arborio because nearly anything can be thrown into a basic risotto recipe.
-Beans. I keep canned and dried varieties but let's get real here, mostly canned.
-Anchovies. I can't think of another ingredient that imparts such a delicious kiss of umami to my food. They just make everything taste better.
-Tomatoes. Whole, in their juice. I like the Cento brand.
-Potatoes. Off the top of your head think of all of the things you can do with a potato. Enough said.
-Aromatics. Onions, garlic, etc. The backbone of almost everything I cook, and they keep forever.
-Olive Oil & Vinegar. I live by Ybarra extra virgin Aromatico. My favorite vinegar by miles is Sherry vinegar.
-Spices. Pick your favorites. Mine include coriander, Herbes de Provence, and Pimentón de La Vera.
Lastly a tip for the freezer:
Anytime I roast a chicken, which is pretty often, I save the carcass and put it in a freezer bag. I do the same thing with halves of onions I don't use, parsley stems, the green parts of leeks, etc. After about a month of accumulation I can look into the freezer and find all of the trimmings for a basic chicken stock, which is another ubiquitous ingredient around here.
Trust me when I say that having these things around in the leanest of times will make your life so much easier. I have actually enjoyed cooking from my pantry these past few weeks. Like a magician, I suppose I like seeing what I can pull out of my hat. But when my paycheck hits my bank account come Friday there's not a one of you who can hold me back from sprinting over to Leon's for a dozen cocktails and all the moules frites I can eat.
-
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
This is a really helpful list! Jamie and I have been trying to limit our food budget lately and a lot of these items can go a long way. It seems we're always out of food at the end of the week, and I'm left wondering how to make something of the little we have left.
Thanks for the inspiration!
How is it that after all these years, none of your cooking talent has rubbed off on me? You would be horrified if you knew what i "cooked" for my family most of the time. Let's just say, we would not meet your standards :)
Post a Comment