Stuck in the apartment with a dreadful head cold. If I'm the slightest bit sick I turn into an incessant whiner and I think Matt's had enough of it. Sample exchange:
Me, on the couch: Hey can you hand me that Diet Coke (that's right in front of me) and turn the heat down and go get me some tissues?
Matt: *Eye roll* Okay.
Me: Why are you rolling your eyes at me! I'm siiiiick!
Matt: *Inaudible grumble*
Doesn't he know that if I get the sniffles he has to drop everything to wait on me hand and foot? Clueless man!
So anyway, I'm in a bad mood and he's in a bad mood. He plays Xbox to feel better. Me, I have my macarons.
The Blissful Glutton alerted me to their availability a few weeks ago. Alon's was offering them for a limited time during the holidays. Christmas came and went and I completely forgot about them until yesterday. I panicked and rushed over to the Morningside shop yesterday evening (after hitting the gym in a futile attempt to "cancel" out all the calories I'd be ingesting), all the while worried on the car ride over that there weren't going to be any available. It would be such a shame, because I never see them around Atlanta. I walked in and TA-DA!, there they were, sitting beautifully in the case. Pistachio and Raspberry ones! Only one raspberry left, though. I snatched that one up and bought six more. In retrospect, I should have cleaned them out of their supply but it wasn't in my budget.
To me, what makes a macaron delicious is the interplay of textures. You bite into the cookie and it has that pleasant, crisp exterior that gives way to a chewy center, and finally you arrive at the creamy filling. Holy shit, that creamy filling! Pure buttercream bliss. I tried to make them last a few days, but alas, they did not. My appetite was having none of it.
They might not be Pierre Herme-caliber, but these macarons were pretty damn delicious. Look who's in a good mood now.

1 comment:
if you can get to an asian market (japanese would be even better) you can have your pick of half an aisle's worth of macaroons. feel better :-)
Post a Comment