Sunday, November 18, 2007

Soup's On


It's days like today that make me loathe living in Georgia. It's November 18th and it's 74 degrees outside. Fuck it, I'm soldiering on with my hearty, cold-weather fare. Tonight I made Meatball Mushroom Barley Soup. It made me want to throw on my scarf and mittens.

The Soup Recipe:

4 c. beef stock
1 c. water
1 c. pearl barley or farro
1/4 tsp. dried thyme (or a sprig of fresh)
1 lb. mixed mushrooms, sliced (NOT those god-awful white ones)
1/2 a medium onion
1/2 lb. ground sirloin
1 egg
2 tbs. panko
2 tbs. grated cheese (Reggiano or Grana Padano)
3 tbs. Italian parsley

In a big pot add stock, water, thyme and barley. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, covered, for about 20 min. In a separate skillet add olive oil and bring to med-high heat. Add onion and the mushrooms. I like a good mixture of flavor and texture, so I use about a 1/4 c. of dried porcinis reconstituted in some boiling water, creminis and shiitakes. Season the mixture and cook until mushrooms are browned. In a bowl, combine ground sirloin, panko (or other dry breadcrumbs), egg, cheese, and 1 tbs. parsley. Mix until just combined and roll into about 18-20 mini meatballs. Once the barley is done cooking, add the mushroom mixture and the meatballs to the soup and cook until meatballs are done, about 10 min. At this point I add a generous splash of Sherry to the pot to tie up the flavors. Chop up the parsley and add to the pot. Stir and serve.

No comments: