Thursday, November 15, 2007

Midnight Oven Fries


My refrigerator is pretty bare. I really need to go grocery shopping. Last night at around 10:30 I was hit with this craving for potatoes. I wrestled with the thought of just driving up to Wendy's and picking up some french fries. "Just go get your damn french fries if you want them so badly," Matt said. "But then I'd be a real fat ass, driving up to Wendy's at 11 o'clock at night just to get some french fries," I said. This went on for about an hour until I remembered that I had a few small russet potatoes left in the bottom of my pantry. I used the potatoes to make some crispy oven fries. Crisis averted.

Midnight Oven Fries

There basically is no recipe, just a method. Wedge up as many potatoes as you want. I will stress that russet potatoes work best, because they get crispier. Basically just grab a sheetpan, plop the potatoes down on the pan and make sure that all the "fries" are coated in salt, pepper, and olive oil. You can get creative here by adding additional flavors, such as dried rosemary. It's up to you. Put the potatoes in a 425 degree oven for 15 minutes. After that, flip the potatoes to make sure the other side gets browned and cook for an additional 15 minutes. That's it.

I'm a heathen and love ketchup (only Heinz!), so I put some alongside the wedges for dipping.

All hail the mighty potato.

1 comment:

haley said...

Man, don't feel bad, when i lived 2 blocks from a Wendy's, i sure as hell would throw on shoes & get me a biggie fry.