Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Ceviche


I saw some beautiful yellowfin tuna at the market on Sunday, so I bought some before I had any idea what I wanted to do with it. While the possibilities were endless, I ended up at a classic tuna ceviche. It was quite delicious.

Tuna Ceviche:

1/2 lb. fresh tuna (sushi-grade works best)
2 ripe Hass avocados
2 serrano chiles, seeded and minced (if you want more heat, leave the seeds)
3 tbs. minced red onion
3 tbs. fresh lime juice
1 tbs. fresh orange juice
2 tbs. cilantro
3 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper

Get a sharp knife and cut the tuna into 1/2 inch cubes. Cut the avocado into roughly the same size pieces. Put the tuna and avocado into a non-reactive bowl, such as glass. Add the onion, chiles, lime and orange juices, olive oil and cilantro. Salt and pepper to taste. Stir everything together and cover with plastic wrap. Set in the fridge for at least one hour. Three to four hours would be better.
I serve the ceviche cold with tortilla chips. You could eat it straight up, though.

Geeky Science Moment: Ceviche is fun because the acid in the citrus juices actually causes the proteins to denaturate, which effectively "cooks" the tuna. Now doesn't that sound yummy?

Eat your ceviche, boys and girls.

(I apologize for the blurry nature of the photo. I'm stupid and couldn't get my camera to focus.)

No comments: