Wednesday, December 23, 2009

A Steaming Pot of Christmas Cheer

Matt and I returned home today from a draining (to say the least) four days in D.C. While it was nice to see some snow, and by "some" I mean 15 inches of the stuff, all I really wanted was to come home and be around my Christmas tree. I know, I'm a total Kevin McAllister about my damn tree, but it just puts me in the best mood this time of year. As soon as I walked in my front door this afternoon out came my new favorite cookbook, Nigella Christmas. Screw Christmas, I know I will be making things out of this book even in the middle of July. The food in there looks that good.


I wanted to get right back in my kitchen tonight. As weird as it sounds I get the shakes if I don't cook for a few days. However, I was extremely worn out from the flight and was seeking instant gratification for minimal effort. Enter Nigella's Mulled Cider. This stuff is like the holidays in a glass. A perfect alternative to the traditional mulled wine, which I often find too syrupy sweet and heavy. I can't have more than one glass of mulled wine, I finished the whole damn pot of mulled cider. Make this! Did I mention that all that is required of you is chucking a few ingredients in a saucepan and simmering for 15 minutes?


Here's a look at what you need:






-a quart of hard cider
-a few glugs of dark rum
-2 clementines (a Christmas must-have around here), split and studded with a clove
-a cinnamon stick
-a small piece of ginger
-2 cardamom pods
-a bay leaf
-a fruit-flavored tea satchel (I'd recommend apple, cranberry, or pomegranate)
-Dark brown sugar to taste (I used 2 Tbs.)

Put everything in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes. Easy, right? To serve, ladle the good shit into your favorite Batman Forever glass mug from McDonald's circa 1995:





Drink up!


I also made a delicious batch of Christmas cookies, but I'll save those for tomorrow. I'm a tease like that.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

i want that. will you be serving it to us?

Matt! said...

This stuff is amazing, and also could be considered a mild sedative. I was out like a light after 2-3 mugs...

Unknown said...

thx 4 brining some to me. i actually hid it from jeff cause i did not want to share.
is that bad?