(This picture is so not attractive. At least it tasted delicious).
In retrospect, this ended up being the Christmas of putting my foot down. At 24 I find myself yearning to forge my own holiday traditions, as opposed to carrying on with those of my parents and grandparents. Every Christmas morning for the last three or four years I've had to wake up at 6 a.m. to open presents with Matt because we had to make it to my mother's house by 8. Then on to Matt's grandparents house, his mother's house, etc. It's exhausting and I end up spending a good three hours driving when all I want to do is relax and have a drink. So I slept in on Christmas and Matt and I had the morning to ourselves.
On to the point...
Ham is my new Christmas food tradition. I happened upon this recipe and it was settled. It turned out so well that I'm going to make it year after year. If I'm being honest, I usually don't like ham. Too often the meat is fatty and isn't infused with much flavor, not to mention that awful, treacly glaze à la Honeybaked. This ham had just enough spice, was trimmed of most of its fat, and the glaze was the perfect balance between hot and sweet. The best part of it all? I've still got a good third of the thing left! Sandwiches, pasta, scrambles, we really made the damn thing stretch. Is there anything more that a cash-strapped foodie could ask for?

2 comments:
don't forget to make a soup stock with the rest. never throw anything out. i'm making stock from the chickens i used for my butter chicken masala last nite. we are making greens i think today
Best ham ever.
Post a Comment