Sunday, November 16, 2008

Long Time Coming




To the probably one person who reads this thing, let me extend many apologies for the extreme lack of updates. Election 2008 grabbed me by the proverbial balls and wouldn't let go for dear life, so much so that it seemed like every waking hour was spent surfing between Politico and HuffPo and FiveThirtyEight (my personal fave). I finally felt like I could breathe again on November 5th, but I must admit that I still carry around a giant election coverage-shaped hole in my heart. I'll survive, and I think updating this thing every once in a while will help me through all of the "so what am I supposed to do now?" feelings.

It's getting pretty nippy out there, and I don't know what is more satisfying on a cold, Fall evening than a hot plate of stick-to-your-ribs gnocchi. Mmm.

I used Tyler Florence's gnocchi recipe. It's pretty simple and straightforward, and I love the pillow-like texture that baked potatoes give the gnocchi as compared to the traditional boiled potatoes. Instead of the pea and prosciutto sauce that Tyler's recipe suggested, I used my all-purpose tomato sauce to top it off. It's just a can of San Marzano tomatoes, garlic, and red pepper flakes...ridiculously foolproof, really. A few torn basil leaves to tie it together and you're in for some good eating.


(This isn't food related, but visit the blog Countdown to Victory and just wait for the smile to appear on your face once you see and hear these various crowds across the world find out that Barack Obama has just been elected president. It's really an instant way to brighten your day.)

No comments: