


Up top is my new pepper mill. I have to admit that I'm quite fussy about my pepper mills. This year for my birthday I got a salt and pepper mill set that, quite frankly, sucked. It was one of those pathetic little things that you'd have to unscrew the top to get a coarser grind. I love pepper. What's more, I love fresh, coarse ground pepper. I have no time for that stale dust that comes in a box at the supermarket. I never even use white pepper because it's got a bland taste and is only ever really used for aesthetic purposes in various white sauces. My new mill is a stainless 8-incher from William Bounds with a 3-step adjustment ring (for a coarse, medium, or fine grind) and a ceramic milling mechanism. It feels great in my hand and works wonderfully. I'd really like to buy a matching pepper mill to my Peugeot Chateauneuf sea salt mill that I miraculously found for $15 at a Pottery Barn Outlet. But it's $80, and I'm broke, so another day.
The second thing you see is my new chef's knife. It's an 8-inch Forschner Fibrox and it's the best knife out there for under $30. Really, it's a great value for any of you guys that want a sharp, durable knife but are nowhere close to shilling out the $100 for a new Global. It feels good in the hand and slices through anything with relative ease.
Lastly, a Chrome Classic Oster Beehive Blender. True, it's no Waring Pro, but it's half the cost and works well for what I need. I don't actually use a blender that often (mostly for quick salad dressings), so I just needed something simple and reliable. If any of you had seen my pitiful, plastic blender that I bought for $20 at Target three years ago, you would understand why I needed this.

No comments:
Post a Comment