Monday, July 12, 2010

Cleaning out the liquor cabinet

Help, I drank through my liquor cabinet! Back in March I decided to build a solid liquor cabinet with some tasty top-shelf bottles. I had just gotten back a hefty tax refund from Uncle Sam and wanted to splurge. So in went plenty of gin (my favorite): Plymouth, Tanqueray, and Bombay Sapphire, Absolut Ruby Red, Rowan's Creek Bourbon, Ketel One, etc. Unfortunately there have been parties and birthdays and "just feel like boozin' times" between March and now that have depleted my reserves and I've been too broke to replace them.

I was peeking around this afternoon and was thrilled to discover that there was a little bit of Plymouth Gin left in the bottle, so I came up with a yummy cocktail I call the Gin-Gin Cooler on the fly. I went to the farmer's market today and picked up some so-freakin'-juicy Georgia peaches and thought they'd be perfect in my drink. Here's what I did:

-Scooped out the flesh of 1 ripe peach
-Put that flesh in the blender and blitzed the hell out of it
-Put the puree through a strainer (okay, so I didn't do this and it was fine, but you can if you don't like little chunks of peach in your drink. I just consider it extra fiber.)

Now fill a rocks glass with ice, add said peach puree to about 1/3 way up the glass, add as much gin as you want on top of it, stir, then top the whole thing off with ginger ale. Try not to gulp it down.

Love and summertime sipping,

The Cash-Strapped Foodie

No comments: