Matt and I got sick again! Third time this winter! I don't know what's going on, but this has been a bad few months for health at Chez Morrow-Sailor (Sorrow?!). Yesterday I decided I wanted something hot and spicy to help perk up my taste buds and clear out my sinuses. Posole Rojo (Jalisco-style) seemed like a natural choice. I've made the stuff the long way before. I've simmered pork ribs for hours, seeded and reconstituted the dried ancho and guajilla chiles, etc. But guys, I'm sick, and I wanted to do jack shit in the kitchen yesterday so I went the shortcut route. Here's the recipe (if you want to even call it that):
-1 medium onion
-4 cloves of garlic (I smashed mine in a mortar and pestle)
-1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
-1 chipotle pepper in adobo
-1 box of store-bought chicken stock
-2 cans hominy
-about a pound of boneless pork chops, cut into pieces
-juice of two limes
-little bit of chili powder
-little less of Mexican oregano
-salt and pepper to taste
Basically I got a big soup pot and sauteed the onion and garlic in a bit of oil until they softened, added the chili powder and oregano, and added the pork. I pureed the tomatoes and the chipotle in a blender then added the mixture to the pot and cooked it for a minute or two. I then added the chicken stock and hominy, brought everything to a boil, then turned the heat down and let the soup simmer for 30 minutes. At the last minute I added the lime juice, any additional salt and pepper that was needed and served it in big soup bowls. It was exactly the kind of warm and spicy dinner I need when I'm trying to fight off a cold.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
awesome! i definitely want to give this a try
Post a Comment