Seriously, you guys (said in Cartman-voice), Lasagna-fucking-Bolognese. Batali's recipe did not let me down, not that I thought it would. This was the best lasagna I have ever had, which makes sense because I hate the typical Italian-American versions, loaded with gobs of ricotta and topped with about 3 inches of melted cheese. God bless you, Emilia-Romagna!
The bolognese sauce was delicious, of course, but honestly I think the secret to this kick-ass lasagna lies in the béchamel. It provides just the right amount of richness and creaminess that you have no real need for any other cheese besides a generous sprinkling of Parmigiano-Reggiano in between layers. I went a little photo crazy in the kitchen, so click on my Flickr feed and you'll see step-by-step documentation of probably the best meal I've ever made.
I decided not to make Matt's cake this year, opting instead to surprise him with a full-size Lamington cake from The Australian Bakery in East Atlanta. This has been one of his favorite desserts for years. To my Atlanta people: get yourself over to Australian Bakery and pick up a Lamington. They normally come in an individual, 2-inch cube portion and are little pieces of sponge cake dipped in chocolate, then rolled in what I can only describe as the most finely-shredded coconut I've seen. So. Damn. Good.

3 comments:
well done! that looks too good! i must try it next time i'm in the mood. i always have to do half orders because i'm using a toaster oven!
australian bakery?? that's funny. because oz isn't exactly known for their fine pastries-at least not over there. i could understand an austrian bakery, but aussie? in atlanta of all places
Lisa, your skepticism about the Australian bakery is understandable. The delicious cakes are a bit of a fluke, but it will all come together with these two words: MEAT PIES!!!
yes, the aussies are meat pie fanatics. i like me some meat pie
Post a Comment