Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Fuck off, Chicago

As one can tell from the title, I didn't have a very good time on my "vacation." I won't go into details, but I can tell you that the one high point was the food. I got my fill of Chicago dogs, deep dish pizza, and upscale Mexican. Matt and I also stumbled upon this really cute neighborhood restaurant in Wicker Park called The Bongo Room, so I recommend dining there if you're ever in Chicago.

I found this really interesting article on AJC.com today. I'm really excited that the EAV Farmer's Market is going to accept food stamps. It is truly abhorrent that the cheapest food items available to low-income families are things like fried chicken nuggets, corn syrup-laden sodas and fruit drinks, and packaged/processed snack foods. I think it's commendable that this farmer's market wants fresh, locally grown food to be available to all people, regardless of income. Obesity, especially in juveniles, is an out-of-control epidemic in this country and fresh produce and the like needs to be as readily available to low-income families as McDonalds. This is a step in the right direction.

2 comments:

Jessica Ferri said...

HEY there, thanks for the comment on my McCain post. Motherfucka can't pull the wool over our eyes!

Also, I HATE CHICAGO. HATE, HATE, HATE. So I feel you on this.

Great idea for a blog. I'm starving as well, and since I don't know how to cook, trying to eat in New York is like shopping for shoes at Tiffany's.

Meagan said...

Thanks for reading! Chicago was a fucking nightmare. It was a total mistake to try and make that my "summer vacation" because it felt like anything but.

Did you hear that the media is now being sexist towards Sarah Palin? Yeah, apparently questioning her ethics violations and executive responsibilities is like taking a swipe at women everywhere...bullshit.