Matt and I made it through Hell Day, a.k.a Moving Day, and are now settling down comfortably in our new apartment. Can any of you out there relate to that overwhelming feeling that comes when you look at your new empty house/apt./condo before you move all of your stuff in and you think "I don't know if this place can feel like home?" That happens every time I move, without fail, but as soon as I get settled in all of my initial anxiety seems to melt away. I won't have an internet connection for a few days so I am having to write this at work. How is talking about your new apartment food related?, you might ask. Well...my new apartment has an (gulp)...electric stovetop! Oh the horror! I guess you can't have it all: perfect location, perfect size, and a gas range. I'm freaked out at the prospect of cooking on electric for the next year. My main concern is heat control. Also, my oven doesn't have a window where I can look through it and check on whatever food I might be cooking. How fucking archaic is that? There are a million pros to this new place that far outweigh these two cons, but I can't help but feel a little bummed out inside. That's my fatal flaw, not being able to just chill out and focus on the positive. I always find a way to focus on the negative. Sometimes I need a good, swift kick in the pants.
So do any of you out there have electric ranges, and if so, are they not as bad as I think they are?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
my new place this year has an electric, while last year I too had a gas. Though to be fair, the gas range last year was shitty, and had about as much control as my current electric does.
that being said, i haven't experienced any cooking flubs because of it. im a very seat-of-my-pants type cook, though. just gotta adapt & react.
Thanks, Haley. So far it's been fine, although there is definitely a smell associated with the coils being heated. Tonight I'm trying out the oven for the first time with some Soy and Ginger-Glazed Mahi Mahi. Hopefully it will come out well.
Hey girl!
My stove in my house is a beautiful stainless gas range with a built in grill.
Jonny's is a bottom of the line electric with no window in the oven.
Alas. I have learned much about heat control in the last two years. Much of it involves lifting the pan from the eye while it cools. Archaic!!!!
Hope you manage.
The best thing I can say is that electric ovens really are better for baked goods. Get a good oven thermometer to hang from the rack.
Love,
Bird
Post a Comment