
Today was officially the first Spring-like day here in Atlanta, even though Spring doesn't technically come for another three weeks or so. The temperature reached 70° and it was so clear and sunny that people were flocking in mass droves to Piedmont Park. I wanted to grab a blanket and some food and go have a picnic in the park but I had grocery shopping and a tiny mountain of laundry keeping me from doing so. I ultimately decided that if errands and chores were going to keep me from soaking in my fair share of vitamin D, then I'd mix up something fruity and boozy in my blender and enjoy it on my balcony in between loads of whites and colors. Not the picnic in the park I wanted, but it managed to hit the spot.
Watermelon Daquiri
This one I took from a Nigella recipe. It came from Nigella Bites and is listed under the "Trashy" food chapter. Perfect!
1/3 c. white rum (please, I put in 2/3)
juice of a lime
1 heaping tablespoon of powdered sugar (honey worked fine for me)
10 2-inch cubes of frozen watermelon
This is simple enough, just blitz everything in a blender for about 30 seconds and you'll come out with something pink, icy, and delicious. Serves 2.
I bought an organic baby seedless watermelon from the market today and it yielded about double the amount of melon the recipe calls for. That just meant more drinks for me.
(No, I'm not advertising POM tea in the above picture. I'm just thrifty and use the containers as drinking glasses. Hey, the title of this blog is "Cash-Strapped" Foodie.)

2 comments:
It was good, too. And the rum is a stroke of genius. I've had watermelon and vodka before, but this tastes much better. Vodka makes it taste oddly anticeptic.
nigella.
i would marry that woman if i could.
Post a Comment