Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Tuesday Night Mussels



I saw some beautiful P.E.I. mussels at Dekalb Farmer's Market yesterday, so I decided to use them in a Puglian-style dish with farro, ceci beans (chickpeas) and cannellini beans. I have to say, I bought dry beans and soaked them, along with the farro, overnight and frankly there was no real payoff. They tasted fine but the texture was just a bit off. Next time I'll definitely use rinsed beans from a can. Farro really is a wonderful ingredient. It's a healthy grain and can be used in numerous culinary applications. Another great thing about it: it's just about impossible to overcook.

I cooked the beans together in a dutch oven for two hours with some carrot, celery, crushed San Marzano tomatoes and two quarts of water. I added in the farro at the last half hour and while the farro was cooking I steamed about a pound of mussels in a covered hot pan with some garlic and red pepper flakes. I shucked the mussels when they had opened and stirred the meat and liquor into the pot with the beans and farro just as the farro was finished cooking. I threw some parsely on top and decided to get cutesy with the plating by making the leftover shells look like hearts. There really was no good reason behind this. Everything turned out quite yummy.

No comments: